Return to Food & Drink Awards Front Page
Here is guidance on voting for businesses in the Time & Leisure Food & Drink Awards 2013. The guidance for each category is also included at the top of its voting page.
Best Family Friendly Restaurant
- Providing entertainment for children, play areas, soft areas
- Seating for kids and children’s menus
- A genuine welcome for the smaller members of the family on arrival
- Goody bags? Coloured pens?
Best Cocktail Venue
- This can be a pub, hotel, a bar or a restaurant that serves, in the reader’s opinion, the best cocktail in town
- We would like to know the name of your chosen cocktail and why it’s so marvellous!
Best Wine Retailer
- Offering the best choices and recommendations
- Delivery and collection for parties/larger orders
- Additional services provided
- Meeting and greeting and service throughout the meal
- Friendly without being pushy, welcoming without being obsequious
- Genuine desire to see you enjoy your meal – without interrupting you too often to check
- Knowledgable staff who are responsive to questions
Best Coffee & Tea House
- Best independent coffee/tea shop serving gourmet coffee and/or exquisite English Afternoon Tea
- Superb friendly service
- Striking decor, staff uniforms and crockery
- Good for business meeting – free wi fi
- Ideal stopover for a break whilst shopping – great for mums, babies and buggies
Best Food Retailer
Sponsored by Jessica’s Recipe Bag
- Can include delis, butchers, patisseries, online services and speciality dishes
- A variety of well-sourced food on offer and quality of service
- What the English do so well – a friendly pub serving good beer and grub. This is not necessarily a gastro pub but a great place to go for a drink and a bite to eat
- Quality and variety of beer
- Service is friendly and the wine and beer of good quality
- Atmosphere and any outstanding features
- Character of landlord/landlady
Best Takeaway & Delivery
- Prompt service – how long did your order take
- Quality of food on arrival – was it still hot?
- Friendliness when taking your order?
- Parties catered for?
Best Local Restaurant
- Service with a smile – and yes, you would go back for more. Its popular, its local (work or home) its casual and probably two courses for well under £20
Sponsored by Schmidt Kitchens
- Established since 1 Jan 2012
- They are already part of the fabric of the community
- They lived up to their opening statement – and have sustained their claims when you re-visited
- You’d recommend this newcomer to your friends and to visitors
- Your chance to welcome the new kids on the block
Best Fine Dining Restaurant
Sponsored by Equity Invest
- High End dining Destination restaurant – you’ll travel miles to get here!
- You’ll book here for a really special event – you’re not worried about your budget!
- You’ll expect, and receive, the Hautest of haute cuisine
- Beautiful grounds/location/setting and decor
- Faultless food, service and presentation
Overall Winner: Restaurant of the Year
Sponsored by Landmark Lofts
This prestigious award will be made to the restaurant that achieves an exceptional level of excellence and consistency in service, with ambience and products which adds real value to its reputation to include:
- Inventive use of locally sourced produce
- Offering a selection of menus including the wine list
- Value for money
- Atmosphere and ambience reflective of the style of the establishment
- Staff awareness of menu(s) and as appropriate, an ability to explain the locality and choice of the ingredients