Lemon Meringue Cupcake Recipe
LEMON MERINGUE CUPCAKE RECIPE
BAKE THESE ZESTY LEMON MERINGUE CUPCAKES BY JOY SKIPPER IN AID OF A GOOD CAUSE
Bake a cupcake this June to help raise funds for the Alzheimer’s Society. Dementia is set to be the 21st century’s biggest killer and affect 1 million people by 2025 – the society needs support to help reach more people with its vital services. So, sign up to Cupcake Day – either on June 17 or any time this month, invite friends and get baking to raise donations! Try this delicious recipe with a twist on the traditional that is topped with meringue…
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3-4 tbsp lemon curd
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C fan, Gas mark4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Place the butter, 150g of the sugar and lemon zest in a bowl and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, flour and milk and mix to a smooth batter.
- Spoon the batter into the paper cases and bake for 20-22 minutes, until springy to the touch. Leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- Using a teaspoon, spoon out a hole about 1 cm deep in the middle of each cupcake. Spoon 1 tsp of the lemon curd into each hole.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff then gradually whisk in the remaining sugar, a little at a time, until you have thick glossy meringue.
- Spoon the meringue onto the top of each cake, adding spikes with a fork or the back of the spoon.
- Cook the meringue either with a chef’s blowtorch, or under a hot grill – keep an eye out as they can burn very quickly!