Mulled Wine Recipe
Get that festive feeling with this mulled wine recipe courtesy of Ascot’s Festive Recipe Collection.
Serves 6 – 8; Prep 10 mins; Cook 30 mins – 3 hrs
- 2 bottles of red wine
- 6-8 tbsp honey (to taste)
- 3 blood oranges
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 16 whole cloves
- 4 star anise
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 vanilla pod
- Optional kick: 250ml Absolut Vodka Vanilla
- Slice two of the blood oranges into thick rounds and juice the remaining orange.
- Add the slices, juice, and rest of the ingredients to a large saucepan and stir on a low heat.
- Be careful not to allow the mulled wine to boil, just gently simmer for at least 30 minutes, and up to 3 hours.
- Taste and add a little more honey if it needs sweetening.
- Ladle (and strain if desired) into cups before topping with your favourite garnishes.
Extra ideas for the perfect mulled wine recipe
- Use a full-bodied wine for this as any soft notes will be lost.
- Experiment with different spirits and liqueurs, Havana Especial
rum also pairs well with the sweetness and spices.
- Adjust the spices and honey quantities to taste.
Not looking to get pull your sleeves up and hit the kitchen? Head to Ascot Racecourse between December 10 – 20 for a festive pop-up restaurant experience in the Old Paddock Restaurant – Feast.