Clementine and Almond Cake Recipe
Enjoy a slice or two of this delicious citrusy bake, best accompanied by a steaming mug of tea…
Add some flavour to your weekend with this Clementine and Almond Cake recipe; courtesy of Maria Fernandes-Gartside, of Fit Eats N’ Treats Nutrition Coaching.
Ingredients and method below.
- 2 large clementines (about 200g), cleaned (sub for mandarins or tangerines too)
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 1 large lemon, zest only
- 160g caster sugar
- 100ml olive oil
- 175g ground almonds
- 2tsp baking powder
- Icing or caster sugar, for dusting
- Place clementines in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for roughly 30 minutes until tender. Remove and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cut the clementines in half and discard the pips.
- Put the clementines, including the skin, into a food processor and blend to a paste.
- Preheat the oven to 180C Fan, grease a 20cm/8in spring-form cake tin and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Whisk together the eggs, lemon zest and caster sugar in a bowl. Add the olive oil and beat until light and well combined. Stir in the clementine paste then fold in the ground almonds and baking powder.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 50 minutes or until well risen and golden-brown. Leave it to cool completely in the tin on a wire rack, turn it out on to a serving plate, dust with icing sugar and serve.